Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Mask

Quick, quick
the masquerade begins
flashing capes and royal gowns
dance lightly across this floor of
interlocking twine

where is my mask
o, my magnificent mask
decorated with gleaming jewels and plated gold
a loan on something I could not afford
to cover these hideous eyes
that shift, back and forth

I need to hide my bloodshot eyes
the lines of tears down the face
will fail to reveal

I need to hide the angry fire
flames that have engulfed my sight
water fails to smolder

I need to hide the loneliness
the shivering cold child
that seeks love

Look for it quickly
Look! Look!
here she comes from across the room
my last hope to hide myself
behind the mask of confidence

But, look...look
turn to the mirror on the wall
look in her gleaming eyes
see your reflection

where is this god forsaken mask?
it is but already worn.

No comments:

Post a Comment